Brazil is a wonderful country for cultivating new friendships. Meet with your two warm and enthusiastic host clubs who will introduce you to traditional Brazilian foods, educate you with visits to local museums, and maybe even help you unwind with some Brazilian beverages and dancing!
Home Hospitality provided by the Friendship Force clubs of São Paulo and Nova Lima.
Live With a Local
- Through homestay you will make new friends and get an insider's view of authentic Brazilian culture.
- Listen to traditional Brazilian music.
- Eat delicious local food including Brazilian barbecue and Feijoada.
- Visit museums where local art is displayed.
- Enjoy the opportunity to visit local clubs and experience some typical everyday activities.
- Nova Lima has amazing green areas that only native people know to share with visitors.
- São Paulo has some lesser-known “hidden corners” in the parks and in the shopping district that we can share with you.
- Go on a driving tour of historic São Paulo, including a stop at an observation deck.
- Explore Ibirapuera Park.
- See some of São Paulo's museums, which include the Modern Art Museum of São Paulo, the Afro Museum, the Coffee Museum, and the Japan House.
- Travel by van to see the largest port in South America.
- Go on city tours of Belo Horizonte, Pampulha, and Inhotim, and spend some time people-watching in Liberdade Square.
- Do a little shopping in Mercado Central and at the Afonso Pena Arts Fair.
- Observe the beauty of Vale Verde ecological park.
Our São Paulo hosts were fabulous and scheduled parties, museums, music, tours, restaurants, and more from morning to evening. There were lots of activities and I really felt I got to know the people and spirit of São Paulo. I loved the graciousness of the São Paulo hosts. - 2015 Ambassador
São Paulo and Nova Lima, Brazil
14 Days / 13 Nights Program and Itinerary:
April 8, 2018 – April 21, 2018
Coordinator: Sue Linehan, FF Southwest Florida
All Friendship Force Itineraries are subject to change.
Day 1 - São Paulo
Arrival at Guarulhos Airport and transportation to meeting place.
Welcome Party with Feijoada – a traditional Brazilian dish.
Hosts take ambassadors home.
Day 2 - São Paulo
City tour with van (accompanied by 2 or 3 hosts) – highlights of the historic center, visit to one observation deck, lunch included (traditional Brazilian barbecue), visit to a Brazilian gem store, and dinner with hosts.
Day 3 - São Paulo
Visit to the Ibirapuera Park.
Opportunity to visit the Modern Art Museum and/or the Afro Museum, lunch included.
Suggested day for ambassadors to take hosts for dinner.
Day 4 - São Paulo
Walking tour of Paulista Avenue; highlights include the MASP Museum (Modern Art Museum of São Paulo) and Japan House, lunch included at the museum.
Small groups get together for dinner at members’ homes.
Day 5 - São Paulo
All-day tour to the city of Santos (one hour away from São Paulo) with a van to visit the largest port in South America. *Transportation and lunch for this seaside day in Santos City is an additional $40 USD per person.
Visit to the Coffee Museum, lunch included.
Ambassadors take hosts for dinner.
Day 6 - São Paulo
Free day with hosts.
Day 7 - São Paulo
Day 8 - Nova Lima
Day 9 - Nova Lima
Visit to Liberdade square – the main historical square of the state capital.
City tour around Belo Horizonte city and Pampulha.
Lunch with MPB (Brazilian Popular Music) in a traditional local restaurant. (Lunch cost not included).
Day 10 - Nova Lima
Visit to Mercado Central (Central Market) and Afonso Pena fair.
Delicious Brazilian barbecue for lunch.
Day 11 - Nova Lima
Free day with host families.
Day 12 - Nova Lima
Visit to Vale Verde – an ecological park that combines beauty, culture, and leisure.
Day 13 - Nova Lima
Day tour in Inhotim – a museological complex featuring a series of pavilions and galleries with works of art and sculptures on display in the open air.
Day 14 - Nova Lima
OPTIONAL 9-Day Extension
Visit Iguazu Falls, Rio, and Paraty, Brazil on this optional nine-day post-Journey tour that goes from April 21 to 29.
Cost is approx. $1,050 USD per person, depending on number of participants.
$730 USDPrice Includes: FFI fees and host fees, transportation to/from the airport, city tour, most meals, welcome and farewell parties, and entrance fees to museums.
Know before you go
- The weather in April should be good, still warm, with a small chance of rain, as it's already autumn. A light jacket is advisable for the evening; sunscreen for the day is also good.
- Good walking shoes are advisable; the city is hilly, but most of the areas visited are fairly leveled. There are some walks on one avenue about a mile, as well as in the park.
- Both cities are more conservative in terms of dressing - shorts and t-shirts are not usual during the visits, but ties are not necessary for the evening events.
- There is an OPTIONAL 9-day post-Journey extension to Iguazu Falls, Rio, and Paraty, Brazil. The cost is approximately $1,050 USD per person (depending on the number of participants.) You can download a detailed itinerary here.
Friendship Force International provides opportunities to explore new countries and cultures from the inside by bringing people together at the personal level. Through the signature program of home hospitality, local hosts welcome international visitors into their culture, sharing with them meals, conversation, and the best sights and experiences of their region.